Saturday, September 13, 2008
Japan Railpass validation procedures at Kansai Airport and limited express Haruka and Osaka bound rapid trains info
JR West connects KIX and Osaka, Kyoto directly with its train services. The limited express Haruka gets you to Kyoto in 75 minutes in the daytime, and the rapid train gets you to Osaka (Umeda) in 66 minutes for 1,160 yen each way.
If you purchase the JR West Kansai one day pass for 2,000 yen, you can get to Kyoto in a non-reserved seat with the ticket. The normal fare is 2,980 yen each way in a non-reserved seat from KIX to Kyoto.
You can purchase as many vouchers as you like before you come to Japan. It's sales locations are all the same as the Japan Railpass sales agencies. After entering Japan, you can purchase the pass only once.
The JR West Kansai and Sanyo pass are sold at any JR West counter in Kansai Airport, Osaka, Shin-Osaka, Kyoto and other major stations. You can activate the passes from vouchers at the same places.
JR West Pass official site
More details on JR West Kansai Pass
From their brochuer
Page 1 (Front cover)
Page 2 (Prices, terms and conditions)
Page 3 (Must visit places)
Page 4 (Sales locations)
I'd say you might want to choose the Japan Railpass instead of JR West Sanyo Pass unless you're in a hurry.
----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Follow the signpost to the station.
Kansai Airport Station (shared with Nankai)
JR ticket counter, where you are supposed to have your JR Pass validated. However, unlike Narita Airport Station operated by JR East, there is no signpost regarding JR Pass validation here, inside or outside.
The entire view of the ticket counter room.
The JR Pass validation point: According to the rep, they usually ask foreign tourists who are validating the pass to wait in a line for the ticket counter. The rep will validate the pass for you. If the line gets longer with those wishing to validate the pass, they open a designated counter for foreign tourists to do so.
I didn't see any blank JR Pass application format on the desk etc at all, so you may need to ask a sales rep for it. I might suggest you to print the format out at home before the trip to Japan to avoid possible trouble.
For JR Pass validation office hours and application form print-out
JR West Railpass as stated above.
JR ticket machines
Signpost to each carriage on Haruka train
Lifts are also available.
Haruka train about to leave.
Ordinary class on Haruka
Luggage space next to the exit door
Osaka (Umeda) bound rapid train.
Inside the rapid train
----- ----- ----- ----- -----
JR train timetable from KIX
Approx. durations (from KIX official site):
1) Limited express Haruka
Kyoto: 75 min
Shin-Osaka: 50 min
Tennoji: 30 min
Osaka (Umeda): 65 min
Tennoji: 45 min
- Transfer guide from Keisei to JR Sobu Lines at Fun...
- Transfer from Keisei Line to JR Lines at Nippori S...
- Bus connections between Hakone-Yumoto and Gotemba
- Train connections between Narita Airport and Weste...
- Kawaguchiko - Kofu Bus Timetable
- Mishima - Gotemba - Kawaguchiko bus timetable
- Transfer to Keiyo Line at Tokyo
- Seishun 18 Kippu (Youth 18 ticket), and Railway Da...
- Limousine Bus actual duration track records
- Transfer from Sobu Line to the other JR Lines at T...
- Getting around Tokyo
- JR East Pass Special for 10,000 yen
- Info on Nankai Line to Osaka Namba (Minami) from K...
- Limousine bus from Kansai Airport
- Japan Railpass validation procedures at Kansai Air...
- Navigation upon arrival at Osaka Kansai Airport (K...
- Limousine Bus durations from Narita Airport to Cen...
- Moonlight Nagara to be discontinued
- ▼ September (18)