Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Getting around Hiroshima and Miyajima in a day
Though Hiroshima has very sad history that more than 100,000 people were killed in the atomic bomb attacks, it now enjoys a lot of beautiful scenery and tasty local food such as oysters and Okonomiyaki. It has both an international airport and a Shinkansen station, so access isn't a big issue.
First, catch the tram from Hiroshima Station to A-Bomb Dome stop, 15 minutes' duration, 150 yen each way and frequent operation.
Walk to the A-Bomb Dome. It's been well preserved since WWII and it's now on the UNESCO World Heritage list. RIP.
Proceed to the Peace Monument in the Peace Memorial Park.
Then visit the Peace Memorial Museum, located at the back of the monument on this photo. The admission is 50 yen. You'll learn a lot about what the then Hiroshima citizens suffered from.
After going through the museum, change your mind and walk 15 minutes to the Okonomimura, a building where a lot of Okonomiyaki stands flock. It's really tasty, and very affordable.
After lunch, head to Miyajima by tram from Kamiyacho Stop. It runs every 7.5 minutes, costs 270 yen each way to Miyajimaguchi and takes 53 minutes.
From Miyajimaguchi Station, walk five minutes to the Miyajimaguchi Port to catch the ferry to Miyajima. It runs every 15 minutes, costs 170 yen each way and takes 10 minutes.
Enjoy the Itsukushima Shrine. It would be advisable to stay on Miyajima until sunset if possible.
Finally it's time you were returning to Hiroshima. Take the ferry and the JR Sanyo Line from Miyajimaguchi Station. It costs 400 yen from Miyajimaguchi to Hiroshima each way and takes 26 minutes on a local train.
Hiroshima bound timetable from Miyajimaguchi on weekdays
For more historical background, refer to wikipedia.
--- --- ---
Additional info on Okonomiyaki restaurant in the shopping complex attached to Hiroshima Station.
One word: Yummy :-)
- Trip to Yufuin, Oita
- Directions to Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu from Shibu...
- Directions to Shibuya Tokyu Inn
- Puratto Kodama, a discount Shinkansen ticket
- Access to Oakwood Shinjuku from Shinjuku Station
- Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen fare table on Hikari and ...
- Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Hikari and connecting Kod...
- Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Hikari (and a part of Kod...
- Airline meals (1)
- Helpful links
- Getting around Hiroshima and Miyajima in a day
- One day trip to Hakone from Tokyo
- Navigation from JR Shinjuku Station to Shinjuku Ke...
- Navigation from the Narita Express platform to the...
- The way to Hokkaido from Tokyo ( also from Osaka a...
- The way to Hokkaido from Tokyo part 1
- ▼ August (16)